Arts – Australian Sex Party Victorian Policy
| Print |
Written by ASP Staff
- Protect live music venues from burdensome licensing requirements
- Hold government to its accord with the community to promote live music in Victoria
- Call for introduction of 24-hour train services on weekends
- Support investment in digital delivery and consumption models that protect copyright and royalties of Victoria’s musicians
- Call for the introduction of a dedicated funding program for artists with disabilities
- Call for review of funding available to independent and community arts
- Protect and promote freedom of artistic expression
Live music confers significant economic, cultural and social benefits to Victoria.
To foster this important sector and live music communities, the Australian Sex Party commits to:
- Call for the introduction of 24-hour, which will include appropriate security personnel. Patrons deserve maximum choice when planning their evening, and late night service will reduce the number of intoxicated patrons stuck in Melbourne’s entertainment precincts
- Support investment into research that looks at delivery and consumption models for digital music to protect copyright and royalty rights of Victorian musicians
- Ensure the legislative changes to the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 are pursued by the incoming government, as specified in the Live Music Agreement 2010. Amendments will recognise within the Act the contribution of live music to Victoria
- Ensure the incoming government amends clause 52.27 of the Victoria Planning Provisions to enable changes to be made to crowd controller license conditions for live music venues without triggering the requirement for a planning permit to be obtained in all cases
- Call for an Agent of Change requirement to be introduced into planning legislation
Artists with Disabilities
The Australian Sex Party believes that all Victorians, regardless of age, sex, ability, and cultural background, should enjoy cultural participation, access to the arts and personal artistic expression.
The Australian Sex Party will:
- Call for the introduction of a dedicated funding program for artists with disabilities; and
- Advocate for more opportunities to showcase the work of artists with disabilities within Victoria’s funded cultural organisations.
It is recommended that such a funding program should provide $1.2M over four years (as recommended by Arts Access Victoria). A range of innovative application procedures should be developed to reduce discrimination and allow for greatest access to these funds.
Community and Independent Arts
Participation by Victorians in these grassroots sectors is increasing; however current government funding does not reflect participatory rates.
The Australian Sex Party recognises the role of community and independent arts in providing contemporary and relevant engagement with communities at a grassroots level. We commit to:
- Call for a review of funding into these sectors and advocate for increases in funding to the community arts and independent arts sectors.
Arts and Censorship
The Australian Sex Party will fight for the rights of artists and freedom of expression, and in particular will:
- Ensure current exemptions for artists contained in the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 (Vic) (sec 11) remain in place;
- Identify Victoria legislation that may impede on the rights of artists and pursue appropriate reform.